RSS
Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading :)

Friday, July 09, 2004



ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY

Written by Adam McKay and Will Ferrell

Directed by Adam McKay


Folks, you know I've been gettin' lazy. A review here...a review there. But I must say I was inspired to run right home after this midnight screening at the Arclight in Hollywood (greatest theater in the whole wide world) and post my review of this one because it is nothing short of brilliant. Far exceeding my comedy-snob expectations.
Anchorman is the story of local San Diego news anchor Ron Burgundy, at a time when the world was his oyster. It was the 70's. Before the days of sexual harassment, AIDS, and women in the workplace. A simpler time...and men didn't come simpler than Ron Burgundy. A man more shallow than a coin fountain, and dumber than a box of rocks, but sweet in a bizarre way. The story chronicles Ron and his news team of equally clueless compatriots as they try to deal with the first female news anchor played by Christina Applegate.
Okay enough of the pleasantries. Let me just tell you I laughed my arse off and it was one of the only times in recent memory that I can recall laughing that hard throughout an entire movie. Non-stop, wall-to-wall, sustained absurdity--and it all works. At first I thought it was the two Double Happinesses I drank at the Good Luck bar in Hollywood, but nope, everyone else seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. Great cameos abound, and I actually had some tears squirting out of the ole ducts during the "climactic battle sequence." I'm actually planning on seeing it again, and I don't often do that. I'm predicting that this one could place Will Ferrell in the pantheon of true SNL graduates to hit the cinematic jackpot. Along with guys like Steve Martin, Bill Murray, John Belushi, and yeah, Mike Meyers, what the hell. Ferrell should expect his next paycheck to have a lot more zeroes after the smoke clears on this one. All right, it's 2:45 in the morning for crap's sake. I'm going to bed.

Go. Watch. Enjoy.

No comments: